Lynda McDermott, President of EquiPro International, Ltd, recently was the keynote speaker for Labaton Sucharow’s Women-to-Women Networking Luncheon at the University Club in New York City. This quarterly event is hosted by Labaton partner, Barbara Hart.
McDermott has over 20 years of experience working with leaders and teams in over 25 countries. Her topic was “Live Your Leadership Legacy Today”.
McDermott asked her audience to answer three questions:
- What is the Leadership Legacy you truly want to leave?
- How are you living Your Leadership Legacy today?
- Do you need to find the courage to make some different life choices in order to lead a life that truly makes a difference?
She used several personal stories, as well as the stories of Anne Mulcahy, Chairman and CEO of Xerox Company and talk-show host Oprah Winfrey to make these points:
- Leaders have no choice about whether they’ll leave a legacy; the question is – What will that legacy will be?
- Leaders won’t be able to leave a legacy of greatness unless they live a legacy of greatness everyday
- Leaders have a “calling card” – a vision with purpose and passion.
- Leaders apply the “science and art of leadership” to execute their plans.
- Leaders need to make courageous choices to make a difference.